Mathematics is considered the easiest subject of all but students consider it the opposite. This is due to the following reasons:
- Mathematics concepts never change and will never change considering other subjects. The way of solving mathematics is always the same and has the same answers.
- Mathematics formulae are always the same and do not change at any instance.
- Mathematics exam tests the same thing, every year. By understanding the concepts of mathematics there is always a guarantee to pass the exam.
- It is not always a must to know the answers of the mathematical problems but it requires the relevant knowledge to answer the question. One gets a mark in showing the workings but not just the answer.
The reasons behind the students failing in mathematics include:
- Negative attitude in mathematics: This usually affects very many students.
- Many students do not find time to study mathematics or practice what they have been taught.
- Failing to do mathematics homework and assignments also contributes to the failure in mathematics. Good practice in mathematics helps familiarizing mathematics concepts and questions.
- Negative attitude towards the teacher contributes to the failure of many students. It makes one not concentrate on what the teacher is teaching.
- Fear due to peer pressure that mathematics is hard. This makes the students develop a very negative attitude in mathematics.
- Failure to do research in mathematics or to do challenging questions.
- Limited or even lack of learning materials by the students. Consider the student who is going in a lesson of Bearing without a geometrical set and a calculator, this student can hardly get anything and yet mathematics needs practice.
To me it is so surprising that most students fail mathematics and yet pass other subjects. I believe there is no work that you can do without applying mathematics. Just consider an individual walking from his home to work in the city he has in mind how long it is from his home to the place of work and what time he takes to arrive at work and therefore use mathematics to survive the challenge and arriving on time.
The following are tips on how to pass mathematics:
- Mathematics needs practice, solving sums continuously.
- Students should do daily practice in mathematics, doing the very extra questions daily. At Ndiaini Girls' the students are exposed to internal and external mathematics contests at least once per term.
- The students also do weekly cats every Monday at 1:20 – 2:00pm to test simple concepts in mathematics.
- The school has also very strong mathematics club where students discuss topical questions every Monday starting 4.00pm – 5.30pm with the guidance of their patron.